Saturday, October 16, 2010

Memories - II

"The vivid colours of childhood have faded into the pastels of memory" - I recently read a line in one of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books which beautifully captures the essence of memory. As I read it I could almost imagine how a clear picture would become what we can only associate with a watermark effect. But it got me thinking.
It's always interesting to think of what one's earliest memories are. I think I read somewhere that our earliest memories can't date to back to before the age of 3 or 4. When I think of that I realise that human memory can be a funny thing - I can vividly remember something that happenned 20 odd years ago, yet forget what happened last month!

So here's one of my earliest childhood memories. I could not have been more than 3 years old. I vaguely remember wearing a yellow dress but thats probably made up by my mind from pictures of the time. It is our home in Goa and my parents have invited over quite a few of my dad's colleagues and their families for dinner. I am laughing with the other kids inside the bedroom where are eating from the brown porcelain plates which we take out when people come for dinner. The kids are not usually allowed to eat from them, so am surprised it has happenned. I decide to come back to the living room for another helping and I can see myself walking down the long passageway.
Some kid is following me which is why I playfully break into a run. As I enter the dining hall, suddenly I trip and fall. The plate I am holding, flies out of my hand to break into pieces and I find myself sprawled on the floor. I can see some blood on my hand and I remember that thats when I start to cry. I can feel everyone in the room turn to look at me. I can remember someone helping me up but I remember nothing after that. But I am sure of this one. I even have the fading scar on my wrist to prove it.

How strange memory is! - I remember this incident whenever I am trying to recollect something recent which eludes me and smile about the paradox that human memory is.

No comments:

Post a Comment