Saturday, September 11, 2010

Change is Permanent!

"We live in a small town in Southern California called San Marino. I love this town, and not just because it's the kind of place where people still smile at each other but because it hasn't changed much in the past twenty-five years. And since I'm not a guy who's big on change, this town fits me like a glove."
- Steve Martin as George Banks in "Father of the Bride"

Everytime I think of change, I think of this dialogue. I dont know why. And I have been rememebering this one pretty often for the past few weeks...just as I have been realising that no matter how much you think you have seen in life, its quirkiness will just catch up with you when you least expect it!

Take for example just about a couple of months ago, I felt a twinge of boredom settling into life...and just wondered that sometimes things seem to kind of stand still. Cut to the present day when over a span of about a month, it seems that everything is upside down! Both in the professional and personal life of the people around me, rapid changes seem to have happenned so fast that am just left wondering if such changes can ever be dealt with!

Of course, most change is for the good...and this certainly applies for what I have mentioned above. But just for a moment the pace of life's movement seems to catch me unawares...and I think it reminds me of how fragile everything around us is..from relationships and people that we take for granted, to routines we follow that we never give a thought to...it can all change faster than you can understand it!

All the more reason to savour every stage to the fullest I suppose! But to be honest, I think I have been holding up pretty good:)

But you know, most of us are like George Banks - struggling to keep pace with change in life...but in a way I think thats also positive...only when we take enough time to let go of something do we give it due appreciation.

And once thats done, its time to move on, perhaps remembering that :

"Nothing is permanent but change"
-Heraclitus

7 comments:

  1. DISCLAIMER -

    I have not made an attempt to be deliberately ambiguous or anything here...neither is the intention to avoid reference to anything specific..its just the only way to refer to a whole lot of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like u r gettin engaged .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @aravind- LOL! nothing of the kind! and to think i put up a disclaimer comment as well...is it bcoz of the reference to father of the bride??!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The faster we accept it the better. And like you keep telling me..everything happens for the best !

    ReplyDelete
  5. @deepa - i was actually saying that sometimes its ok if it takes longer...depends on each person...like in the movie george takes time to accept anything...but yeah all for the best:) whether its true or not,helps you move on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. deeps- p.s surprised to see a see a serious/not fun poking post from u- progress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i guess i over anticipated !!!!!!

    but a good blog again......as u said it depends on each person

    ReplyDelete