Monday, August 29, 2011

Memories III

Back to blogging after a long hiatus. I guess we humans are the only creatures who have this insatiable urge to figure out who we are...where we come from and where we're going. And this journey takes us through one of the most tumultous paths into the most complex organism of all - our mind.


As you get more used to being conscious of what you're thinking (read "going nuts trying to figure yourself out":)) you start realising how finicky our mind is. Just about two weeks ago, i found myself somehow going back again and again to certain memories...in this case it was summer holidays with family. Suddenly every moment was full of rememberances of happy times in my grandparents house and I found myself recalling very vividly every moment spent over the past twenty odd years over two months in May and June when we visited them . I can surprisingly recall every inch of its interior and the garden outside. I can remember the way the sunlight fell on patterns onto the floor of the garden in the afternoons and the exact place where I would sit on the steps leading to the terrace, reading . I can see myself hopping off to play at the neighbours, as well as see my uncle reading the newspaper as he drank his coffe at the same spot every morning. I can see my granddad coming outside the house in his veshti to do his puja and I can see my grandmom bustling about the kitchen in her towel turned apron.


The surprising part is that today the house is gone and brand new flats adorn the land and my grandparents no longer live there. Why, I, myself no longer even live in my parents home. Why then do these memories come back bitter sweetly to remind me that I can no longer re-live them?


Today suddenly these memories are gone. And I feel lost again as I do sometimes, not knowing where I came from...not to mention worried about where I am going. Ah well, life's like that:)

No comments:

Post a Comment